Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Miles to Go

I love Robert Frost's poetry.

What Fifty Said

When I was young my teachers were old.
I gave up fire for form till I was cold.
I suffered like a metal being cast.
I went to school to age to learn the past.

Now I am old my teachers are the young.
What can't be molded must be cracked and sprung.
I strain at lessons fit to start a suture.
I go to school to youth to learn the future.

I also really like Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters.  I saw it performed once, years ago, and it really caught my imagination.  Mom and I went together, and it was a really special time for me.  For some reason, though, what stands out the most, aside from the performance, was me giving mom a piece of gum.  Why that sticks with me, I don't know.  I'm weird like that.  I remember the oddest details sometimes.

So, again, I love my Nook.   You guys should all go out and buy one.  Don't get the Kindle.  Oh, yes, I have my reasons for making that statement.  I wish I remembered what those reasons were...  I'm reading American Brutus right now, which is an amazingly good book about John Wilkes Booth and the assassination of President Lincoln.  It is well-researched, and gives a feel for how awful that time was for the country.  The night before Washington had had an "illumination" to celebrate the end of the war.  It was festive, with tons of people coming in to the city to celebrate and to see all the candles and lamps lit.  The next night, Lincoln was shot, and there was such confusion and horror, not just in Ford's Theater, but throughout the entire city.  Many, many people were killed because they'd say things like, "I'm glad that tyrant is dead!"  People were so scared.  

I would like you to gaze at this photo of sheer innocence.  



Awww!  Right?  Wrong!  The smaller dog, Binnie Boo, has a new home, with Erma's in-laws, and I hear that she is merrily helping herself to the garbage.  She pops the lid off the garbage can and sticks her head in there, taking out what she wants.  BDG is simply a bad, bad dawg.  

Yesterday, Erma, Ambrose and I made a quick trip to the store, and were gone for maybe 30 minutes or so. When we came home, I found numerous empty cans that I'd thrown away strewn about the dining room and my room, and he ate an entire box of donuts, too.  The box was put up, and somehow, he knocked it down and ate every single crumb.  Worse, he didn't touch his dog food!  

Then, I love, love love this next picture!


Apparently, we like to decorate for Christmas using diet Coke bottles, bags of sugar, and a McDonald's cup. We did a lot of joke gifts this past year, hence Jethro's old man's hat, and the apple peeling machine, which I'd already given to Erma (it was mom's, and was given to her first by her sister.  I gave it to Erma because she's made homemade apple butter, and I thought she'd like it), and because she didn't have enough gifts, I wrapped it for her.

I'm nice like that.

Speaking of Jethro, I'd like to copy a letter he wrote to me, circa 1997 or 98, I think.  He would have been 9 or 10 at the time, and he was in serious trouble with me, and had been sent to his room without supper.  For what?  Who knows.  

Dear Mom,

Since I have nothing to eat (I am not telling my teache(r)) I have to eat paper. Ya you may think its gross but what else would you eat with an empty stomach.  The point is you decided not to let me eat so think about your decision.  Love (and his name is crossed out, and he signs it with) don't have a name.

BAH HA!!  Manipulative little brat, wasn't he??  This letter cracked me up at the time, and it makes me laugh still, so I have kept it all these years.  Think about my decision!  I wonder if I ever let him eat?  Well, I mean, I know I fed him after that, and he's grown big and tall, so he's fine, even though he had a meal of paper that evening.  I mean, I wonder if I gave in and fed him after I got that oh, so threatening letter from him?  Knowing me, I probably did.

I had a real problem with follow through, when it came to discipline.

Actually, I have a real problem with follow through when it comes to life.  Hmm.  

Oh!  Here's one more picture for you.  I meant to post this some time ago, but forgot (darn that follow through problem of mine!).  I thought my brother, G, might really like to see this, since he likes hunting, too.


It's not the best because it's a copy of a photograph, but yes, there is my son with a dead deer.  Yes, he shot it.  On that hunting trip, he actually shot 2 deer, a male and a female.  I hope he's still going to bring some of the meat back when he comes home.  (Soon!  Very soon he will be home again)  I did tease him about shooting such a tiny deer, but he insists the deer just looks small because he is so big.  Uh huh.  Sure.  Hee hee!

Well, on that note, I'm ending today's entry.  Go in peace, be warm and filled.









No comments:

Post a Comment