Thursday, March 03, 2011

Clearing the Throat

Well, Saige had her follow up appointment with her ENT to see if she'd be cleared to eat solid foods and able to  exercise and carry on like a normal, surgery free person.

Unfortunately, the answer was, "No."  She's healing, which is good, but the doctor said the earliest she'd be able to eat and work out would be Monday.

Saige said she knew she wouldn't be cleared.

I thought she would be, because, well, sometimes I feel like Saige might be a little, uh, not dramatic, but that she pays too much attention to the littlest things in her body.  (When she was young, Erma told Saige that she needed to know her own body, so since then, Saige pays attention to every tiny bump, cut, dot, or other abnormalities that show up)   I figured she was worried about things that weren't important.

I was wrong.

So, I am loving my Nook.  Dad, you should think about getting one.  You can hold thousands and thousands of books on these things, and it takes no time to download them.  I love that I can make the text bigger, because I am so blind, and small fonts are impossible to read.  The light Erma ordered for me showed up yesterday, so now I can read in the dark.  A lot of books are free (I got the Holy Bible and some of Charles Spurgeon's sermons, as well as some classics like Pride and Prejudice and Little Women.  All free.  Whoo hoo!!)  I do like the feel and smell of "real" books, but I also like the convenience of the Nook.  Plus, with real books, you are stuck with the size of the text.  Oh, and with real books? You can't get online.  But you can with the Nook!

The other night, around 9pm, Dr. Lampshade showed up with his backpack.  His wife had kicked him out for being lazy.  Keep in mind he's working almost every day, and he works a lot of hours--usually from 6am or so until about 4pm.  And when they came over for my birthday, Britney was telling me that he'd cleaned the whole house for her and that was pretty awesome of him.  I guess her thankfulness didn't last.  Lamp spent the night, listening to music, and then, because the truck was in the shop, I gave him change for the bus so he could go to work.

However, he didn't go to work, so he might have lost his job now.  Idiot.

No, he went home, where I guess he and Britney made up.

Sigh.

So much drama with those two, I swear.

I got the truck yesterday afternoon, though.  It was fixed for 180 bucks, including having it towed.  The negative terminal had gone bad on the old battery, and the cables had to be replaced.  It has a new battery and new cables, and it seems to be fine now.  Of course, it seemed quite fine until it died!

I lost my debit card, so I had the bank send me most of my money via Western Union. When I went to pick it up, the girl behind the counter almost wouldn't let me get it, because the very tiniest corner of the license broke off.  Plus, she'd never seen a military I.D., and she was confused.  When she called over the manager, they both stared at the military I.D. with confusion, then both read through the types of I.D. they can take for Western Union.  "State id cards.  Driver's licenses.  Government id cards."  I interrupted.  "Uh, that is a government id card.  It says, 'United States'."  They were still not sure.  Finally, the manager said to just use the driver's license, since all the information was readable.

Sigh.

I finally got my money, so I could get money orders to pay my bills.

FUN!

But I did go to get a new Driver's license yesterday.  I figured it would be better to have one that wasn't broken, since I had so much trouble with the Western Union deal.

They used the old picture from my broken license, for which I will be grateful for a long, long time.  That was taken when I had a nice haircut and my teeth were much nicer than they are now.

Dr. Lampshade had court the other day, to determine the outcome of the case when he was spat at the nurse.  Everything has been dropped, and other than being on probation for domestic abuse against his wife (which Britney said he didn't do, but who knows for sure?  I think he probably did.), he's done with everything.  He still has fees to pay, but the court cases are all over with.

In our efforts to eat better and lose weight, I decided to buy a butternut squash the other day.  I baked it, then, unsure of what to do with it, I put it in the refrigerator.  I know you can eat squash just out of the oven, and it tasted good, but I wasn't so sure about the texture of it.  Looking online, I found a recipe for Butternut Squash bread.  I made that, and it was absolutely delicious.  I left it a little bit doughy so Saige could have some of it, and I added extra spices that the recipe didn't call for.  We all decided that this bread would be really great with some chopped apples, pecans, and raisins added, too.

I'm proud of Mr. Clean, who is trying new foods that he's never tried before.  He still doesn't care for many vegetables, and lettuce makes him gag, but he loves veggie burgers, and he tried my vegetable soup.  There were carrots left in his bowl, but he tried it, which is what matters.  He's also been working out almost daily.  He really wants to lose the weight so he can join the military.

Speaking of Mr. Clean and Saige, I forgot to tell you what they got me for my birthday!  They got me one of my favorite movies, Sixteen Candles, some t-shirts from the Thrift Store, and a really nice, heavy, warm comforter from the Thrift Store, too.  I'm sorry I forgot that, Saige!

Yesterday would have been my 26th wedding anniversary, if, you know, things had been different than they were.

And today is my Dad's birthday.  Happy Birthday, Dad!

So, that's what is going on around here.  Go in peace, be warm and filled.

No comments:

Post a Comment